Fajita is a popular Tex Mex (Texan-Mexican) dish, traditionally made with grilled meat strips served as a taco on a base of flour tortillas..You can make a vegetarian version by substituting the meat with vegetables and beans, just like this recipe has. Moreover, you can omit the cheese and make it vegan too! Fajitas are very interesting in terms of flavours and textures. Firstly, some chunky salsa sauce is spread on the tortillas, next, the vegetables are nicely seasoned and cooked in aromatic spices to uplift their taste. And to top if all off, some good quality cheese is grated with a final touch of cilantro leaves… It is very important to remember that the choice of vegetables is completely based on your tastes and preferences, you may skip some and add others if you like.. I recommend that you maintain the combination of tangy, savoury and spicy flavours throughout the recipe.. as they perfectly accompany the veggies.. The recipe can be found below.
This recipe is for four 4 servings.
- Preparation time : 20 minutes + time to allow for beans to soak
- Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Total time : 30 minutes
Condiments Required :
- Plain Flour : 1 cup
- Room Temperature water : around 1/3 cup
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil : 1/2 tsp
Spicy Kidney Bean paste:
- Dry Kidney beans: 1/2 cup
- Paprika – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seed powder – 1 tsp
- Salt, Pepper : to taste
- Lemon Juice : 1 tsp
- Olive oil : 1/2 tbsp
- Garlic : 2 cloves
- 1 Jalapeno / any chilli pepper : finely chopped
Veggie Filling :
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion
- Sliced green pepper : 1/2 cup
- Sliced Red Pepper/ Yellow Pepper : 1/2 cup
- Black Olives : 4-5 (sliced)
- Boiled Corn Kernels : 1/2 cup
- Sliced Mushrooms Caps : 4-5
- Seasoning : Salt, pepper, cumin seed powder, dried herbs (any).
- Grated Cheese : 1 cup
- Salsa Sauce : 3/4 cup
- Cilantro Leaves : 1/3 cup (chopped)
Firstly, make sure you have soaked the kidney beans for at least 5 hours PRIOUR T.. Once they are soaked, pressure cook them until they are soft and thoroughly cooked.
- Start by preparing the dough for the tortillas.. You may use store-bought tortillas, if you wish. Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Then start adding in the water gradually and knead the dough. You may not necessarily need all the water, so its better if you add it in batches. Once the dough has come together nicely and is smooth, dab some oil on your palms and cover the surface of the dough. Leave it to rest for at least 10 minutes. Once the dough has been rested, cut it into four equal parts and roll into balls and once again let it rest until you are ready to make the tortillas.
- The second step is to make the marinade for the kidney bean paste.. Using a pestle and mortar, bash and make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned for the spicy paste (except for the kidney beans). Once you have a coarse purée ready, transfer it to a separate bowl. Mash the cooked kidney beans using a potato masher or a simple fork, once it is coarsely mashed, add the spicy purée and mix well. Keep this mixture aside..
- For the vegetable filling, heat up the olive oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and cook them off, then add in the peppers, mushrooms, olives and the cooked corn kernels and fry everything till there is no moisture left. Then turn the flame off and season with salt, pepper, cumin and dried herbs. Mix well and transfer to a separate bowl.
- The fourth step is to make the tortillas. Start by heating up your pan on low flame. While the pan gets heated, take the dough balls and roll them into round tortillas, making sure they are not too thick. Sprinkling some dry flour on the surface and on top of the tortilla will help you roll easily. Once the pan is hot, gently place the tortillas into the pan and cook on both sides until they have light brown spots.. Repeat this process with the remaining dough balls.
- Once all the tortillas are cooked, brush some olive oil on one side and then start assembling. On the other side of the tortilla, spread some salsa sauce, making sure you cover the entire tortilla. Then add some of the kidney bean paste in the centre (make sure you do not add too much, it should be aligned in one single line). Then lay the vegetable filling and finally sprinkle some cheese and cilantro leaves.
- Lastly, Roll the tortilla into a wrap and repeat for all of them. Then grill the fajita in a pan on both sides, this is to heat it up and to melt the cheese. SERVE HOT!!!
Make this fun-filled, quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be, by dropping your comments. If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address, click on the button and wait for the confirmation text to appear.
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address click on the button and wait for the confirmation text to appear.
What next? View some more amazing recipes in the related posts or wait for new ones until next time! Happy cooking 😀 ❤