Burgers are a great fast food option..they’re filling, delicious and very satisfying as well. Certainly worth the effort and super easy to make. My burger is exceptionally better and healthier, instead of meat/potatoes or any other condiment, it is prepared using kidney beans..they add a great amount of texture and creaminess. Kidney Beans are perfect for experimenting too, because they have no flavour by themselves, they do require a good amount of condiments that add flavour, so you can go ahead and add whatever you fancy. Add lemon juice, citrus zest, Worcestershire sauce, reduced balsamic, tamarind water, ginger/lemon grass extract or even the preserving water from the canned jalapeños … when it comes to bringing in some tang, it can get as fancy and innovative as you want.. I also love adding freshly ground, roasted spices such as cumin, fennel and smoked paprika to really add some amazing flavour to the patty! Then finally go ahead and add some fresh lettuce, tomatoes, pickled cucumber, jalapeños or even coleslaw. Skip the burger spread if you add coleslaw.. however, I have a simple burger spread if you do not want to go through the extra effort of making coleslaw.
Make this burger for parties, bbq nights or even for lunch. So go ahead and give this a try and do not forget to let me know how it turns out.. The recipe along with images and instructions can be read below:
- Preparation time : 15 minutes
- Cooking time : 5-7 minutes
- Total time : 20-22 minutes
This recipe is for 4 servings
- Burger buns – 4
- oil and butter to cook
- For the burger patty:
- 3/4 cup of dry kidney beans
- one small potato (boiled and peeled)
- 1/2 cup or more of bread crumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup of chopped onion
- 1 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 1 tsp of chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- seasoning :
- salt- 1.5 tsp (more or less to taste)
- black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seed powder – 1/2 tsp
- paprika powder (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Cheese slices/ grated cheese (optional)
- For the burger spread :
- 2 tbsp of mayo
- 1 tsp of ketchup
- very little mustard – 1/4 tsp(precisely)
- One or two jalapeños sliced.
- Pickled veg : Either sliced onions/cucumber
- Fresh tomato slices (3 per burger)
- Fresh salad leaves of choice (any type of lettuce, rocket, arugula, etc..)
- Start by soaking your kidney beans. In a large bowl, add the dry beans and 2 cups of water, let it soak for at least 7 hours or even better, overnight. Once soaked, drain the excess water and pressure cook/boil until they are tender. Once the beans are cooked, rinse them under cold water and leave them on a sieve for some time.
- Once step one is complete, you can move on to preparing the burger patties. For the patties, add the cooked kidney beans, boiled potato (cut into manageable pieces), half of the bread crumbs and the rest of the patty, seasoning ingredients into a food processor/large mixer. Then process until chunky . Add more bread crumbs if the mixture is too sticky (make sure you have enough bread crumbs as you’ll need some later as well).
Once the mixture is ready, apply some oil to your palms and shape the mixture into equal sized patties. Coat the patties in bread crumbs on both sides and let them firm up for some time in the fridge. Simultaneously, move on to the other step.
- By now, more than half of the process has been completed, all you have to do is prepare the vegetables. Cut tomato slices, rinse the lettuce and pickle the onions/cucumbers. To pickle, simply mix vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil in the ratio 1:1:2 respectively. Toss the onion and cucumber slices in the marinade and set in the fridge until you assemble the burger.
- Remove the patties from the fridge and heat up some oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the patties to the pan and shallow fry them on medium heat. When one side is cooked, flip the patty over and sprinkle some cheese on the cooked side; then splash some water in the hot pan (around the patties) and cover the pan for 30 seconds. This will help the patties stay moist and help the cheese melt faster because the water will turn into steam and melt the cheese. Make sure that you don’t increase the heat throughout the frying process as it is essential that the patties cook slowly. Once both the sides are golden brown/cooked , remove onto a plate. While the patty cools a bit, slice the burger bun into two and toast it. Toasting the bun is optional.
Quickly mix the ingredients for the burger spread in a bowl and keep it ready. Once the bun slices are toasted, apply some of the spread on the lower slice, place some lettuce leaves and then sit the patty on top. Then place the tomato slices, jalapeño slices and the pickled veg. Complete the burger by placing the top bun over the vegetables.
Serve this delicious burger with a cold beverage of your choice and relish it with joy.
Make this fun filled, quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be, by dropping your comments. If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to follow
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and you will automatically start following.. J What next!? View some more amazing recipes in the related posts or wait for new ones until next weekend! Happy cooking 😀 ❤