Fritters are great.. whatever size, shape or texture they come in , they are always loved and are a hit in families. One such amazing fritter comes straight from the Middle East; it’s called Falafel.. it is an extremely popular and delectable snack that is famous all across the globe, ask a true foodie like me and he/she will know it already! They’re generally stuffed and eaten in pita breads as a sandwich, but are incredible on their own. It is my favourite go to snack when I am really not in the mood to work it off in the kitchen.. the only major pre prep it requires is the soaking of your chickpeas beans overnight, which is more concerned with the waiting time as you cannot make them without soaking the chickpeas. But when you have them ready, the rest can be left to your trusty blender/food processor. It is rich, creamy, and very delicious from the inside and crispy from the outside. The major essentials in the recipe are the chickpeas, spices, fresh herbs, a few veggies and some lemon juice. Bursting with amazing flavours and textures, they are satisfying, delicious and very wholesome too. I am sure you will love them as much as I do and will definitely want to try them. The recipe is available below:
- Preparation time : 15 minutes
- Cooking (Frying) time : 4-6 minutes or more if done in batches
- Total time : around 20 minutes
This recipe is for 2-3 servings (roughly 12 falafel fritters)
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 small onion-chopped ( 1/4 cup to be precise)
- 3 cloves of garlic- chopped
- small handful of fresh parsley/coriander, you can even use both
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- other spices :
- 1 tsp of roasted cumin seed powder
- 1/4 tsp of paprika (Kashmiri red chilli powder)
- 1 tbsp of good quality olive oil (if you do not have olive oil, use regular oil, but nothing else)
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 2-3 heaped table spoons of flour
- Firstly and most importantly, soak your dry chickpeas in water overnight, this is essential as the chickpeas need to be soft and manageable to work with when they’re added to a mixer. It is as easy as it sounds, simply add a cup of chickpeas to 3 cups of water in a bowl and leave them to soak overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- Once the chickpeas are soaked, drain them well and let them dry off a little bit, to do that quickly, place a dry piece of cotton cloth in the bowl and add the chickpeas, tie it from the top and squeeze tightly to get rid of any water. Once this has been done, add the chickpeas to the food processor with the chopped onion, garlic, parsley. Process this for 30 seconds. Then add the rest of the ingredients except for the olive oil and process until chunky. Then add the olive oil little by little as it will help everything bind together. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Once the mixture is ready, scrape it out into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- The third step is to prepare equal sized round balls out of the mixture (you should get at least 12).
While you shape the balls, heat up a some oil in your frying pan (add enough oil so that it should cover half of the falafel while frying). Once the balls are ready and the oil has heated, drop the falafel balls in and fry util golden brown on all sides. Make sure you keep the flame on medium low and do not be in a rush to increase the flame, otherwise the exterior will get cooked faster than the filling inside. Also make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan while frying (fry in batches) to avoid sticking and to give them enough room. Once the falafels are crispy and golden brown, remove them onto an absorbent paper to drain the excess oil. Serve them with some hummus/tahini sauce or simply enjoy them plain.
Make this fun filled, quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting on the recipe! If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to follow
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and click enter to subscribe and you will automatically start following the blog.. 😀
What next!? view some more amazing recipes or wait till I get new ones next weekend!