Macaroni and cheese or mac ‘n’ cheese is a very popular American dish. The dish may be native to the American mainland, but there exists a very unique recipe from every corner of the world that show cases as just how many variations can be made from this wonderful baby. The best however, will always be the classic recipe for mac n’ cheese; present in every amateur cook’s bucket list, this stellar dish is known for its simplicity. It requires very basic ingredients and can be put together in a matter of 25 minutes from scratch to finish. Mac n’ cheese is literally the first love of every kid’s life due to it’s awesomeness. Firstly it is kid friendly as kids adore cheese; secondly, it is great for take away school lunches as it still tastes great even when it isn’t warm, and lastly, it is simple and not complex in terms of ingredients and flavours.. there is nothing a kid would complain about and they’ll simply gobble it down in a jiffy. Sound’s great, doesn’t it!? To learn the simplest method for making a “killer” macaroni ‘n’ cheese, continue reading as the step by step instructions and the guiding images are available below.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes (includes the baking time as well)
- Total time: 25 minutes.
This recipe is for 3 servings.
- 2 cups of macaroni pasta
- 2 small knobs of butter, 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- Room temperature milk – 2.5 cups
- seasoning ingredients :
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli flakes/paprika powder – 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Dried oregano – 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 cup of mix vegetables of choice(completely optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of grated cheese (I recommend Cheddar)
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (if you wish to bake it)
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- Start by cooking your macaroni to al dente texture (slightly raw). Boil it in water with some salt for about 7-8 minutes and then drain, rinse under cold water and keep aside.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Start by heating up a pan/skillet on medium flame, add the butter and olive oil and let the butter melt completely. Once the butter has melted, add the flour, chopped garlic and stir well, let the mixture(roux) cook for about a minute.Then add about 1/2 cup of milk and using a whisk/wooden spoon, keep stirring until there are no lumps remaining. Then add the rest of the milk, bay leaf and bring it to a boil, once it comes to a boil, lower the flame and add the seasoning ingredients, mix veg, grated cheese, chopped parsley and stir well. Let this simmer on low flame for about 4-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and reduced nicely. Once the sauce is ready, fish out the bay leaf.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir well. If you wish to eat it right away, heat it up and enjoy. However, if you have a microwave/oven, I would recommend you to bake it for some time. For that, add the macaroni and cheese to a greased baking tin, sprinkle bread crumbs on top and pop it in a preheated oven (180° C) for about 5-7 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden and crispy. Alternatively, do the same for the microwave and pop it in for 3 minutes. Then let it cool slightly for about 5 minutes and serve.
Make this fun-filled and quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting! If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to follow
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and you will automatically start following.. 😀