Granola bars are mini treats that are loved by kids to grown ups alike. They’re great to snack on, carry to work/school and they make a lovely gift too. These mini snacks are so tempting and irresistible that you’ll not be able to stop at one… but that isn’t really going to be bad because these granola bars are so healthy.. they contain power packed nuts, healthy rolled oats, and the goodness of jaggery and brown sugar. Simple, healthy, yet extremely tasty. Great to give an amazing kick-start to the day, these power packed bars are sure to keep you going well. So let’s get heading on to the recipe:
- Preparation time : 10 minutes
- Baking time : 10 minutes
- Total time : 20 minutes
Serves : Family treats, generally multiple servings.
- 200 gm (2 cups) oats (instant oats)
80 gm (½ cup) almonds, chopped (walnuts/ pecan nuts are great substitutes)
3 tbsp butter or ghee
220 gm (¾ cup) jaggery* (use 1 cup jaggery, if not using the brown sugar)
55 gm (¼ cup) brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
100 gm (½ cups) chopped and pitted dates
90 gm (½ cup) raisins
2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Start by lightly toasting the oats, almonds on a pan. Take a large non stick pan and heat it up over medium flame, then add the oats and almonds to the pan and lightly toast them low heat until it gives out a slight nutty aroma. Then turn the flame off and transfer to a bowl to let them cool.
- The next step is to melt the jaggery, brown sugar. Use a mixture of both or use only jaggery. Start by heating the same pan (wiped clean) and add 2 tbsp of ghee (indian margarine/clarified butter), once slightly hot, add in the jaggery and brown sugar and melt on low flame until it forms a rich, thick consistency sauce.
- Pre heat your oven to 150 °C. In the meanwhile, add the raisins, chopped pitted dates and sesame seeds(optional) to the oats, almond mix. Once well mixed and combined, add the vanilla extract/essence and stir. Put this mixture into the melted jaggery, sugar and mix well (make sure that the jaggery sugar mixture is lump free and still warm). Once everything is well combined and you have a chunky granola bar mix, line a square tin with some baking/parchment paper on all sides and transfer your granola bar mix to the tin. Wet your hands with water and even out the surface. Put this in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Once baked, take it out of the oven, and let it cool for some time. Then take out the parchment and cut into desired shapes and sizes. Keep it in an air tight container and they’ll last for a good couple of weeks.
Make this fun-filled and quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting on the recipe! If you enjoyed reading my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to follow
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and you will automatically start following.. 😀