Mushroom is one of my favourite things to cook with. It is an incredible vegetable that is so versatile and comes in various shapes and sizes. Nothing absorbs flavours as good as a mushroom, it has such a nice and springy texture when cooked that you will not stop yourself from eating it over and over again. Today, I have an Indian inspired recipe that is offbeat, multi cuisine and finger licking delicious; its my Mushroom Tikka Masala. The mushrooms are firstly marinated in a spicy, flavourful yogurt marinade and then charred to perfection. Next what comes in is my silky smooth, flavour packed, rich masala curry in which the mushrooms are let to cook and reduce down to form a lovely and aromatic curry, then some fresh cream, butter and coriander are added in to finish the dish off. I bet you’re very tempted to try this dish, so let’s get going!
- Preparation time : around 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time : 35 minutes
This recipe is for 3 servings
- 250 grams of button mushrooms
- 4 tbsp of hung curd/yogurt
- 1/2 tsp each of cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, black pepper, 1 tsp each of chilli powder, salt, coriander powder.
- 1 tsp of smoked mustard oil, 1 tsp of regular cooking oil
- 1 tsp of ginger, garlic paste
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- Curry paste:
- 1/2 tbsp of oil, 1/2 tbsp of butter
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1.5 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 green chilli
- 2-3 fat cloves of garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1/2 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- More water to cook
- To finish off the dish:
- 2 tbsp of cream
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 2 slithers of butter
- handful of fresh, chopped coriander
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl, when smooth and lump free, check for taste and adjust accordingly. Then halve the mushrooms and give them a thorough rinse under cold water. Make sure all the dirt has gone (tip : use a new and clean toothbrush to get rid of the dirt, scrape off the brown dirt lightly) mix in the halved and cleaned mushrooms into the marinade. Be very gentle as you do not want the mushrooms to break. Once thoroughly mixed in and coated, cover it and let it sit for at least 20 minutes.
- While the mushrooms marinade in the fridge, prepare the curry paste. Start by adding the butter and oil in a pan. Once slightly heated, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic, and a chopped chilli. Let the seeds and the curry leaves splatter a bit, then add in the onions and cook until soft. Then add the tomatoes and once again, cook until very soft. Season the ingredients with salt and pepper and add the water. Reduce the water down until there is very little left. Let it cool slightly, then add it to a blender and churn until you have a smooth paste.
- Once the mushrooms have marinated for at least 20 minutes, take them out and heat up a hot griddle pan or a tawa. Once smoking hot, drop the mushrooms in and make sure every piece has enough room to char. Char on high flame until all the sides are browned. Heat up another pan and add your curry paste, cook for 3-4 minutes, then drop in the charred mushrooms and any of the juices and marinade. Bring upto a boil, add more water if needed and then simmer until the curry has reduced down to a thick consistency. . Finish the tikka masala with some cream, milk, butter and half of the fresh chopped coriander. Give it a good mix and then transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with the remaining coriander and grate in some paneer on the top (optional)
Serve it with rice, naans, kulchas, rotis, chapatis, etc…
Make this fun-filled, delicious recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting. If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to follow
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and you will automatically start following.. 😀