Eating healthy food that is delicious at the same time is every fitness freak’s dream. So why not include these type of dishes in our meals as well? Salads can be super fun and can be prepared with multiple ingredients and in a million variations. This is a rather simple salad as the name speaks for itself. All it consists of is some couscous, roasted vegetables, wilted spinach and a simple salad dressing. Couscous is basically a whole grain loaded with health benefits, originating from the Northern region of Africa, this grain is authentically prepared with a vegetable or meat stew. In my belief, this is a more modern-day twist to incorporating couscous in your diet. In the sense that this salad befits any meal of the day and is great when you need a boost of energy after a weary, hectic schedule. With something this simple and quick to prepare, yet brilliant in terms of flavours and textures, I am sure everyone, including me and you can stay healthy and not complaint of having to eat dreaded things that taste awful.. So let me walk you through the recipe..
- Preperation time: 6 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time : 20-21 minutes
This recipe is for 3-4 servings (or more depending on your serving size)
- 3/4 cup of uncooked couscous
- Diced zucchini(yellow or green) – 1 cup
- Bell peppers (chose various colours as it makes the salad more vibrant) – 1.5 cups
- Cherry tomatoes – halved (keep them whole if very small)- 1.5 cups
- Spinach – 1 cup (roughly chopped)
- Lemon juice, salt, pepper
- Dressing: 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 tbsp water, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar (just add a little more lemon juice if you do not have balsamic vinegar)
- The first step is to cook the couscous.. For the amount of couscous stated, use at least half a litre of water and salt to boil the couscous. This ensures that the couscous gets plenty of room to rise in volume and the salt flavours it so that it doesn’t taste bland. Cook for 10-12 minutes or the time mentioned on the package. Once cooked, drain the excess water and leave the couscous in a bowl.
- Next step is to prepare the vegetables, use assorted/exotic vegetables of your choice. Do not get crazy with the types of vegetables you use, 4-5 types is sufficient. Keep it simple, yet sophisticated.
- The third step is to roast these vegetables. If you have a grill pan, go ahead and by all means, char the vegetables slightly for a smokier flavour if you prefer. If you do not have a grill pan or an oven, simply roast these vegetables on high flame in a heavy bottom stove pan until they get some browning. I have gone the easier way and roasted them in an oven at 180° C for 5-8 minutes.
- The fourth step is to prepare the dressing. For that, simply mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl until all the ingredients are incorporated well. It should be slightly thick.
- Last step is to assemble the salad.. Simply toss the cooked couscous, roasted vegetables together. Season with salt, pepper and some lemon juice. Then pour over the dressing and mix to combine.
The end result: its fascinating and mouth watering!
Make this fun filled and quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting on the recipe! If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to follow
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and you will automatically start following.. J