Everybody loves food on the go. However, it’s people like you and me, who are reluctant and lazy to step in the kitchen and get working, especially during weekends. I am not saying that this is a hands free recipe, but it involves minimal preparation as it can be put together in a matter of less than ten minutes. Hence the name “Lazy Weekend Caesar Salad”. The textures are vivid and baseless but they end up very well together in a salad bowl when put in the right way. Bread croutons and fresh, crisp lettuce may sound a bit weird when termed as a salad, however, it’s the special mayonnaise dressing in the recipe that makes it a “to die for” combination. So put your culinary skills to work and make this phenomenal salad for your lazy weekend brunch, get togethers, parties or even when you simply want to indulge in something so delicious.
Let me walk you through the recipe..
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes (maximum)
This is for 3-4 servings
- 1 head of lettuce (romaine or iceberg)
- 4-5 slices of bread
- olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice
- 3/4 cups of mayo
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce (the substitute will be mentioned in the procedure)
- 1/2 tsp of mustard
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of water
- salt, pepper, 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- The first step is to prepare the dressing.. The dressing needs to be the right consistency (not too thick yet not too runny).. Simply add all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together to form the dressing.
- Next, prepare the lettuce. Take a whole lettuce head (romaine/iceberg) and remove the bottom core part. Then start tearing apart the leaves (make sure you remove any dirty ones). Roughly chop the lettuce into medium sized bits and then give a thorough rinse. Dry using a paper towel and leave in a strainer to let excess water drip out.
- The third step is to prepare the bread croutons. A crouton is basically a lightly toasted piece of bread. For making croutons: trim out the edges of 4-5 slices of bread and then cut them up into equal sized pieces (make sure they are the same size as the torn lettuce leaves). Then heat up about a tsp of olive oil in a pan and cook out the croutons on medium- low heat (this may take upto 5 minutes depending on your gas burner). Keep flipping occasionally to toast evenly. The bread croutons should be around the size as in the picture below:
- Next, it’s time to assemble the salad when you are ready to serve (do not make the salad in advance as the bread croutons will get soggy.
- Add the torn lettuce leaves and bread croutons in a large salad bowl. Season with some salt pepper (make sure you do not add in too much salt ass the dressing is quite tart, so adjust accordingly.) Sprinkle some lemon juice over the lettuce leaves and croutons and toss well. Finally, add spoonfuls of dressing over the salad. Do not add too much and do not mix it with the salad.
- Serve Immediately.
Make this fun filled and quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting on the recipe! If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom end on the home page and click on follow and go through a quick process to subscribe.
Go to the side bar menu on the right of your laptop/computer screen. Follow by simply clicking on the follow button and going through a quick process to subscribe.