Who doesn’t love pizza? … From kids to grown ups alike, everyone loves the crusty pizza base, the delicious tomato sauce/pesto, those yummy greens and the star of the show! The cheese *melty* *melty*. Such a visual treat, isn’t it? Well do not worry if you don’t have the time to make a whole pizza with the added baking time. I have recreated the exact same pizza but in a sandwich form this time. With the exact same sauce, toppings and the cheese all put in between slices of multigrain bread which all together make this wonderful pizza sandwich. This is healthy as well, except for that extra bit of cheese (but its okay at times).. 😛 So make this awesome and quick pizza sandwich with the recipe that I bring for my readers.. Let me walk you through the recipe..
- Preparation time: 5-8 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time : around 23 minutes
This recipe is for 3 servings (pizza sandwiches)
- 9 Multigrain bread slices (or bread of your choice)
- Your favourite pizza sauce (you can make home-made too. I’ll show the procedure down below as well)- 5 medium-sized tomatoes, dried herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper, chilli flakes.
- 4-5 gloves of garlic (chopped/crushed)
- Olive oil or melted butter
- Vegetables :
- Jalapeños – 1
- chopped bell pepper – 3/4 cheeks
- chopped onion – 1
- sweet corn kernels – 1/2 cup
- sliced olives – 7/8
- Any other vegetable of choice if desired but the above mentioned are sufficient.
- Grated cheese – 1 cup or more as required.
- Start preparing the vegetables. Slice the jalapeños into roundels, chop the bell pepper, onion finely. Boil and keep the sweet corn kernels ready and pit, slice the olives.
- Then prepare the tomatoes for the sauce. For that, keep a pot filled half way with water to boil. (Make sure there is sufficient room for the tomatoes). Remove the eye (green top part) of the tomato using a pairing knife. Or simply slice the top part out that includes the eye. Then add the tomatoes in the boiling water and let them boil for up to 5 minutes or until the skin peels of by itself. Then drain and run under cold water. Next, peel any remaining skin (it should easily come out using bare hands). Then dice into half and remove all the seeds. Put those tomatoes into a mixer or a food processor and churn until it turns into a fine and smooth tomato purée. Make sure you get all the juices from the tomato as well (but do not let the seeds get mixed in).
- To make the sauce, heat butter/olive oil in a pan and fry 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic. Once slightly golden, add the tomato purée and season with salt, pepper, mixed dried herbs and chilli flakes. Taste and adjust the spice and salt once again. Cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Next its time to assemble the sandwich.. On the first slice, apply some of the sauce and the spread cheese (be generous).
5. Then add jalapeño slices and season with salt and pepper. Then layer another slice of bread on top and spread some sauce, cheese and the vegetables. Crush some oregano with your palms and add on top. Then complete the sandwich with the last slice of bread.
6. Immediately heat a pan or griddle with olive oil or butter. (Use a panini press or a griller if you have). Once, heated, cook on both sides until golden brown. The cheese may not be completely melted, but that is perfectly fine. Cut the sandwich half or more (as desired) and serve with ketchup.
Make this fun filled and quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting on the recipe! If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: Click on “SHOW” on the top left corner of your phone/tablet screen or the side bar menu on the left of your laptop/computer screen. Follow by simply clicking on the follow button and going through a quick process to subscribe.