Usually, in India, breakfast is something spicy or savoury accompanied with sauces/chutneys. For example dosa, idli, onion stuffed flatbread, etc… This is no exception to that rule. Inspired by the Mumbai street food, this recipe consists of a pan-fried pancake which is a quicker substitute to the regular dosa. It is accompanied with a spicy potato filling that is stuffed in the pancake and then rolled to form this beautiful breakfast item that is also great as a take away breakfast when you’re in a hurry. Make these ultra delicious and mouth-watering pancakes and serve them to your family and friends over breakfast to impress them with your amazing cooking skills. So let me walk you through the recipe using simple illustrations and images to help.
- Preparation time: max. 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
- Total time: around 25 minutes
This recipe is for 4 servings
- Pancake Batter:
- Plain flour – 1 cup, milk, salt, pepper and a mix of ginger, chilli and garlic.
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 medium-sized boiled potatoes
- 1 onion cut lengthwise, chopped GGC (ginger garlic chilli)- 1 tsp each.
- Spices and flavourings: cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp, red chilli powder – 1 tsp,salt and pepper, chat masala, lemon juice, and curry leaves.
- Fresh coriander leaves.
- Dipping sauce of choice. I have used a mint chutney to accompany.
- Start boiling the potatoes using a pressure cooker. Once the potatoes have been boiled, peel them leave aside.
2. Prepare the pancake batter. For that, start by adding the chopped ginger, chilli and garlic to a large bowl (or the bowl you are going to prepare the batter in). Then add a cup of all purpose flour(plain flour) and mix.
3. Then gradually start adding room temperature milk to the flour. Keep whisking as you add the milk. When the batter reaches a semi thick and runny consistency season with salt and pepper and leave aside.
4. Next step is to prepare the spicy potato filling. Start by heating about a table-spoon of non flavoured oil to a large pan. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and the curry leaves one by one. Let the, splatter a bit and then add the chopped ginger, chilli and garlic. Once the mixture is cooked and slightly browned, add the chopped onion and cook until tender. Then add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix, cook until the spices are nicely roasted. N:B- if the mixture is super dry, add a little bit of water to moisten it up. Then add the diced potato and chat masala, then stir well to form a beautiful spiced potato mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes to let all the flavours infuse into the potato. Add lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander leaves and mix. Then, turn off the flame and remove the mixture in a separate bowl.
5. Now, start cooking the pancakes using the prepared batter. Give a good mix to the batter before using it. Start by heating some oil on a non stick pan or a tawa. Once the oil is hot, spread the batter on the pan in a circular motion starting from the inside and moving outside. Make sure it is not too thick nor too thin. Then let in cook slowly on low heat. If a large bubble appears on the surface, just push it down gently to ensure even cooking. Once the pancake has been cooked on both sides, remove on a plate. It should look somewhat like this:
6. The last and final step is to stuff the pancake. Layer some of the prepared filling in a straight line on one side close to the circumference (do not layer it in the centre) Then roll tightly and cut into two or more pieces (or as desired). Then serve with your favourite dipping sauce or chutney. It tastes great by itself too! 🙂
Make this fun-filled and quick recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be by commenting on the recipe! If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: Click on “SHOW” on the top left corner of your phone/tablet screen or the side bar menu on the left of your laptop/computer screen. Follow by simply clicking on the follow button and going through a quick process to subscribe.