Potato wedges are basically french fries but in the shape and form of wedges. These are simple and seasoned with flavour packed spices. Served hot when crispy and mouth-watering, these are meant to be a stand alone dish as they can be eaten by themselves. However, since I do not leave any stone unturned when it comes to making recipes even more special and exciting.. I have an amazing zingy dip for these awesome potato wedges that will take this starter experience to a whole new level.
For the potato wedges:
- Potatoes quartered lengthwise and par boiled. (Don’t worry, I’ll explain how to prepare them)
- Batter: plain flour, water, oil, salt, pepper, cumin seed powder and paprika or red chilli powder. Optional: add piri piri powder or chaat masala for a more zingy touch.
- bread crumbs
Dipping sauce: (for one bowl )
- Schezwan sauce (try Chings available at local grocery stores) – 2 tbsp
- soy sauce – 1 tsp
- vinegar (try chilli vinegar by Fun FAoods)- 1/2 tsp
- mustard oil – 1 tsp
- chill sauce – 1 tsp
- Ketchup – 1 tbsp
- spring onion chopped – 1 tbsp
- jalapeño or small green chilli pepper finely diced and de seeded.- 1 whole
- First, get the potato right! Choose a potato that is long and has a clear and smooth skin with no sprouts growing on top or without any dirt or stain. Next, simply cut the potato into half in vertical position (lengthwise). Then cut the halves into halves again in vertical position. In a nutshell, for those who know the basics: quarter the potato lengthwise with the skin on. Then add salt to boiling water and cook the potatoes until partially cooked. Make sure you do not cook them fully as they must retain shape while frying and shouldn’t get overcooked at the same time.
- Next, prepare a batter with the ingredients mentioned. Use more water or flour to get the right consistency. Make sure the batter is not too runny, it must act like a glue to stick the breadcrumbs on and hence, should be a little thick.
- Now, prepare the breadcrumbs. Cut the bread into manageable pieces and put a few slices into a mixer or food processor. Then churn till the bread crumbs are fine in texture and resemble dry sand.
- Now, make the dipping sauce by mixing all the ingredients mentioned above. Adjust the ingredients to make more or less dipping sauce.
- Now, the final step : frying the wedges.
- First, put the wedges in the batter and coat thoroughly on all sides. Now, take them out one by one and coat them in bread crumbs. Then, put them in hot oil to fry until golden brown and crisp. Make sure the heat is not too high as the potatoes will get fried quickly but will be raw from the inside. So make sure that you deep/shallow fry (your choice) on medium low heat and let the potato get a golden colour and a crispy surface as well as cooked from the inside. Do not leave them and keep an eye on them as they can get burnt quickly. Lastly, drain excess oil on a kitchen towel or any absorbent paper and serve hot with the yummy dipping sauce.
There it is! My crispy potato wedges with zingy dipping sauce recipe for my awesome viewers! Like, share, comment if you like my recipe and follow my blog to support it and to receive regular updates! Thank you and happy cooking 🙂 ❤