Do you guys buy those cheesy dips to accompany your nachos, garlic rolls, etc…? You no longer have to waste money on those store-bought items as it can be prepared easily at home… This dip is very versatile and flavourful and can accompany almost anything that compliments cheese. Spread it on a plain toast, sandwiches, pizza bites or even as yummy dip for pakoras or cutlets! It’s spicy, savoury, and extremely creamy (duh!). It is a basic béchamel sauce except its thicker, cheesier, and a spiced version that acts as a dip and even goes well with pastas if you like.
It can be prepared in less than 10 minutes and is super easy with simple ingredients.
- Plain flour (maida) – substitute with wheat flour if you want a healthier version!
- Chopped garlic
- Room temperature milk
- For seasoning: chilli flakes, salt, pepper, oregano or mixed herbs. You may add fresh herbs if you have them on hand (but add double the quantity of dried herbs)
- And cheese! – add as much as you like 😀 😛
- In a pan, start melting butter. When the butter is completely melted(make sure it is not burnt), gradually add in equal amount of plain flour to the quantity of butter and mix well, this should form a partly runny paste like consistency (if it is too thick, add more butter and get the right consistency). This process is called forming the roux which helps to thicken the sauce and this roux needs to be cooked for a while so that the flour doesn’t stay raw.
- Once the roux has been cooked, start pouring the milk in… make sure that you start by adding very little milk at a time and gradually increase the quantity to prevent the formation of lumps.
- Keep whisking the milk and the roux until it starts to thicken….(N:B- Make sure you do not add a lot of milk for the sauce unless you’re making a large quantity of the dip but also keep in mind that the milk reduces as the sauce thickens, so make sure you add sufficient milk…)
- Now, add all the seasoning ingredients and adjust to your taste… Now add the cheese and whisk thoroughly to incorporate the cheese and to get a smooth and a slightly thick yet runny sauce.
- After adding the cheese, cook for a while and then transfer to a bowl and serve hot as a dipping sauce or spread or mix in with freshly cooked pasta AND RELISH IT !!
IMPORTANT: DO NOT STORE THIS SAUCE/ DIP FOR MORE THAN 12 HOURS AS IT STARTS TO GET TART AND LOSES ITS CREAMINESS. PLEASE USE IT WITHIN THE SPECIFIED TIME. IT’S RECOMMENDED TO SERVE IT FRESH AND HOT.