This healthy and extremely appetising tofu sandwich is a flavour bomb!! It includes beautifully seasoned tofu slices that have been grilled with an amazing blend of spices and herbs. This sandwich also has a hearty vegetarian salad loaded with some olive oil goodness and fresh vegetables!
Thus it is a good option for almost any meal of the day and also great as a take away option!!
For this recipe, use multigrain bread if you can as it grills perfectly and is a healthier option compared to the regular sandwich loaf bread.
The ingredients :
- Tofu cut into even sized slices
- Salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin seed powder, oregano for seasoning the tofu.
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salad: Tomato (halved and then sliced lengthwise) , shredded lettuce, carrot juliennes, sliced bell pepper and thinly sliced onion.
- Lemon juice, mustard, Tabasco (optional) and ketchup.
- Multigrain bread slices.
- Cheese(optional.. but add at least some for good measure)
1)Firstly, prepare the salad with the ingredients mentioned above. Pour some olive oil in a bowl, next add some lemon juice and then whisk thoroughly. Then add the vegetables and some salt and pepper and toss well. Then cover it with some plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to allow the flavors to develop.
2) Now, season the tofu slices on both sides with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin seed powder and some oregano. 2.5 slices of tofu should be perfect for one sandwich.
3) Now, heat up a pan and drizzle some olive oil to prevent the tofu from sticking. Then, place the tofu slices and cook on both sides until golden brown. Then transfer to a plate and let it rest for a while to allow the flavours to seep into the tofu.
4) And the lest step for the preparation is to mix some Tabasco(optional), ketchup and mustard in a bowl.
5) Now, assemble the sandwich……
Drain any excess water from the salad to prevent the sanwich from going soggy. Next, layer some salad on a slice of bread. Then add the cooked and seasoned tofu and some cheese on top (optional). Now apply the ketchup mixture on the other slice and cover it.
6) The last step is to cook the sandwich. You can either do this by greasing a griller first and then adding the sandwich to it for golden grill marks on top.
OR… you can simply cook the sandwich on both sides on a normal pan by greasing it and then cooking till golden brown on both sides.
And in no time, you’ll have an extremely healthy and filling sandwich. Isn’t that great?