For all you busy mongers out there, I know how tough it is for you guys to get up in the morning and prepare a hearty and filling breakfast while having to get yourself/your kids ready, finishing those early morning chores..etc…. So I thought of finding a recipe for all you hardworking people out there; that will save time for cooking breakfast in the morning as it can be prepared the day before and can be left in the fridge overnight.
This recipe of the overnight oatmeal breakfast has my twist on the classic one and is full of protein, calcium and other essential items that will keep you going for the day. So lets just start… This recipe is for one serving
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- Vanilla/ Greek Yogurt – 1 heap tbsp
- Rolled oats
- Any fruit of your choice – strawberries, bananas, mangoes, apples, berries etc… work great – ADD a good quantity for a nice amount of color and fruity flavour(but make sure they’re even sized and cut into small pieces) OR you can add dry fruits if you prefer them over fresh fruits.
- almonds – (3 chopped coarsely) – these can be substituted with your preferred nuts or you can add mixed nuts or completely omit them if you are allergic
- Honey – 3/4 tbsp – 1tbsp depending on the sweetness of the fruit and/or yogurt
- Chia ( SABJA) seeds – 1/2 tbsp
In a glass jar, add rolled oats and fill it up almost 1/3 of the way.
Next add milk and fill it upto the level of the rolled oats and then add a heap tbsp of yogurt.
Now add the rest of the ingredients mentioned
Now mix everything and check for desired consistency. If you like it thicker, add more oats or fruits and if you like it more of running consistency, add more milk…………but please remember that THE OATS WILL SOAK UP THE MILK AND YOU WILL GET A NICE CONSISTENCY IN THE MORNING IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN ABOVE FOR THE MILK AND OATS AS SHOWN IN THE FIRST TWO IMAGES.
Now, after everything is mixed well and adjusted to personal taste, close the jar with the lid/cap and seal tightly. N:B : if you don’t have any lid, cover the surface with cling wrap and secure with a rubber band and leave it in the fridge overnight.
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT………YOUR OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST THAT CAN ALSO BE TAKEN TO WORK. ALTERNATE TYPES OF YOGURT, NUTS AND FRUITS FOR DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS EVERYTIME.