This is a very versatile recipe which can be used in various ways such as a dip for nachos, chips, barbecue parties and mainly as a spread for crostinis, bruschettas, toasted baguettes and the list goes on. It is sweet and savoury along with a little kick from the chilli.
- 3 whole tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper(I have used red)
- to season: salt, black pepper, sugar, olive oil, chilli flakes and mixed dried herbs.
- Begin by adding 5 cloves of crushed garlic and 3 halved and de seeded tomatoes into a greased microwave pan. Then microwave for 5-6 minutes. While this is happening, roast a bell pepper on the stove until completely charred on all sides. (Keep rotating for even blackening)
Once the pepper has been roasted, leave for 10 minutes to cool down. By this time your garlic should have completely softened and the skin of your tomatoes should have separated a little. Remove them from the microwave and then peel of the skin of the tomatoes using your hands. CAUTION: THE TOMATOES WILL BE SUPER HOT so let them cool a little.
N:B : DO NOT THROW THE JUICES FROM ROASTING, they will be used later in the recipe.
2. Now, peel off the pepper skin using a tissue. It should easily peel off with hand rubbing. Then remove the top core and the seeds inside(do not wash the pepper in any circumstances or else the flavour will be gone).
3. After everything is done, cut the pepper lengthwise into long strips and then roughly chop them. Now turn on your flame and preheat a pan. Drizzle about a tbsp of olive oil and cook your roasted, peeled tomatoes until they have some brown marks. Then add the roasted garlic and pepper. Heat everything in the pan while continuously stirring them. Then add 1 1/2 tsp of powdered sugar, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes and 1 tsp of mixed fresh herbs of choice. Mix well and then turn the flame off.
(The above picture doesn’t show the peppers and garlic).
4. Let the mixture cool for some time. Once it has cooled, take a small food processor or a mixer grinder and add the roasted Tomatoes, garlic and pepper mixture with 1 tsp of olive oil and the juices from the roasted tomatoes (don’t add all of it if there is too much, just add up to 2 tbsp). Then pulse until the mixture is chunky and thick and then transfer to a bowl.
This can stay in the fridge for a few days.
Make this fun filled, simple recipe and do not forget to let me know how it turns out to be, by leaving your comments. If you enjoyed my recipe, share it and hit the thumbs up (like) button and do not forget to follow my blog!
To follow: using phone/ tablet: scroll down to the bottom of the home page (or until you see the follow button), click on follow and enter your email address to subscribe for e-mails.
Using laptop/computer: click on the follow button on the bottom right of the homepage or go to the side bar menu and click on follow. Enter your valid email address and you will automatically start following.. 😀 What next!? View some more amazing recipes in the related posts section or wait for new ones until next weekend! Happy cooking 😀 ❤